Blog no. 26: Diane Stewart

 Hello everybody, it’s Di here,

                                            So, if you take the week in Scarborough from Friday to Friday, here’s what has been going on for me this week. My week began with a relaxing day off, and the arrival of our eldest daughter, Tally’s, Exchange student from Austria. This is her second visit to stay with us, Tally had a wonderful stay with Daniela in Austria in December, and she will be with us until Thursday. They have lots of plans for the week, more of that later. 

                                            Saturday heralded a first for me. I had entered the Race for Life Pretty Muddy race, being held at York Racecourse, along with thousands of other women, and my five friends. We set off quite early on Saturday morning with trepidation, not quite knowing what we had let ourselves in for! We were just determined to have fun and raise some money for such a worthy cause. All we knew was that the course was 5 km long, with obstacles along the way, some of them muddier than others. Photos on the Internet showed people looking VERY muddy, so we were prepared for anything! We had made an executive decision that we wouldn’t worry about trying to run all the way, just to get from beginning to end. After a fun warm up, we took our starting positions at 12:15. 

And we were off…running…and we kept running, much to the surprise of us all! We had to get over things, crawl through mud under netting, climb up and over netted walls, tyre jump…you name it, it was there. Oh, and run quite a bit in between. We weren’t too muddy though, and were wondering when it was going to get REALLY dirty. That was saved until the last 2 obstacles- a sort of huge paddling pool filled with mud that we had to crawl through, and our favourite, the last one, a climb to a slide, landing in…you guessed it, a pool of mud! After a sprint finish, the sense of achievement, and that great feeling of working as a team was fantastic. I don’t know how I managed to keep my top so much cleaner than the others! Sadly, I had to dash home, as I was working in Hull later that evening, so I sat on my plastic bags in the car all the way home and had a very long shower. I would like to thank all the members of the audience, and the orchestra for their generous donations, which amounted to £230, which is fantastic. That brought our group total to £1392. If there is anyone who would still like to donate to Cancer Research, you can still do so at our Justgiving page



After Sunday’s 2 concerts, and the first outing of Butterfies in the Rain, and ferrying teenagers to and from Flamingoland…


…Monday brought the first Teddy Bears Picnic of the season. It was lovely to see the Suncourt full of dancing children, some of them visiting from Braeburn School, some from as far away as Spain, and we even had a special visit from Yorkshire Coast Radio’s DJ Dex.


On Tuesdays we only have a morning concert, so we’d planned a BBQ for the Austrian students and their partners in the evening. All plans were going well until suddenly, it looked a bit threatening and this happened! 


We thought the BBQ was doomed, but thankfully, the weather perked up, and all went ahead as planned, outside, until after 10. It was great to see them all together, some of them for the 3rd or 4th week spent together over the course of 18 months, so they were all getting to know each other as a group much better. A fantastic bunch! 
Next year our youngest daughter, Sophie is taking part in a French exchange programme. As my German is non existent, not that we needed it- their English is so fantastic- I’d better dust off those O level French text books! 
                                         Two more concerts on Wednesday, and always lovely to see familiar faces returning for another visit to the Spa. 

                                           Thursday morning meant a fond farewell to Daniela before the morning concert, but we will see her soon-she’s coming back in October to live with us for a month, so we can’t be that bad! Thursday was, as always, our request morning, and a very varied programme, leaning towards cello heavy, as it had been requested that I played 2 solos! I felt I deserved a treat, so a quick lunch with Mike at one of our favourite spots to build up the strength for the rehearsal for our Opera Gala. It was so nice to see Maria and Jeff again, and they sang beautifully throughout the action packed programme.   
A very enjoyable evening was had, and many people commented how much they had enjoyed the concert on the way out. 

                                       So, that is a week in the life of me, interspersed with bits of teaching, giving daughters lifts here there and everywhere, eating, sleeping! Still, this is the last week of term, so no more really early mornings after Friday! Hooray!! Here’s to the summer! 


One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s